Tuesday, October 28, 2014

DIY - E10 Dampers


Pic above is HPI's suspension upgrade for the E10. It difinitely looks awesome but I find it to be a bit bulky and a little hard to tweak.

My solution to this problem is to make my own by combining parts from the stock E10 suspension and from another aluminum shock from a generic brand. See below for my DIY tutorial. 


1. Here's the stock shock from the E10 and arrow points out exactly where to cut off. Be very careful when cutting.

2. Once the  ball end part is off use a Dremel with a cut off wheel to cut off excess shaft and to grind off to a flat surface.

3. After surface is flat. Drill a hole through from the ball end all the way through. Im sorry but forgot what size drill bit I used. Just match up the size of the drill bit to the shock shaft to get the diameter of the hole.

4. Here's the aluminum dampers I got on eBay for less than $10 a pair. Looks good and less bulky than the stock ones. The arrow is pointing to the area where you clamp down a Long Nosed Plier to hold the shaft in place. Get it as close as you can to the top thread as this will hinder the shock shaft travel a bit once you do this. This is not for the faint of heart, this why I'm using an inexpensive shock.

5. Once you clamp the plier down good, start screwing the ball end piece all the way down to the bottom of the thread. Don't forget to slip on the shock coils of your choosing.


6. Here's the final product and installed. It looks pretty good don't it...


I hope this tutorial helped you and should you have any questions, concerns, or advice just hit me up here by commenting below or get in touch with me on my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment